Dr. Stat

Dr. Stat is a former Statistics Professor.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Book Review

I recently finished reading "Common Sense Economics" by Gwartney, Stroup, and Lee. This is an excellent little book and I highly recommend it for everyone. Really! It is non-technical, and explains things in, well, a common sense way. I finished almost every chapter with the feeling that I had just been told things that I already knew in my gut were true, yet had not consciously understood. There are important insights here about politics, in particular short-term thinking versus long-term thinking (you knew that too, didn't you?), as well as why nothing ever seems to get done in Washington. It's all economics, really. No kidding! And I became a statistician because I thought it would allow me to understand what politics was all about. Oops.