Dr. Stat

Dr. Stat is a former Statistics Professor.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

What do kids learn about politics in school?

I live in a fairly conservative state that can pretty much be counted on to go Red in the presidential elections. I don't spend a lot of time talking about politics at home, but I thought I said enough to give my kids a pretty good idea where I stand. So it was quite a surprise to me when my 9th grader started making some comments about George Bush on the way home from school one day. The comments were all negative, all the typical liberal anti-Bush line. As I started to counter the things she said, she asked, "You mean you support Bush?"

Hmmmm. Not only didn't anything I said at home sink in, but apparently she was getting a straight one-sided view at school. Now, I know this is happening in other parts of the country, but somehow I was under the impression that things would be different here. I guess not.

Instead of (or in addition to) learning about Cindy Sheehan at school, why don't they learn about Lena Haddix?

Who, you say?

Lean Haddix, at age 72, went to Afganistan as a civilian volunteer to support the troops. She worked in the PX. Later she also went to Iraq. Her message is far more important to America than Cindy Sheehan's. But, so typically, the important messages are ignored in the media and the schools.

Read about Lina Haddix here:
http://newsok.com/article/1721215/?template=